The Parenthesis mission is to strengthen family bonds and promote the development of parents and young children by affirming the parent/child relationship, improving parenting skills, and alleviating family isolation.
Who can join Parenteen?
Pregnant and parenting teen moms ages 13-20 who reside in Oak Park, River Forest or Forest Park, Illinois can join the Parenteen program.
What’s Does Parenteen Offer?
- On Wednesday nights from 5:30 – 7:30, teen moms and their children meet as a group, share a meal together, and then focus on topics of concern to young parents. Weekly topics may include
- child discipline
- sleep and nutrition
- family relationships
- what’s ahead for me
- Children are cared for in age appropriate classrooms during the group discussion portion of the evening.
- Each teen participant receives two or more home visits per month
- One visit focuses on their child’s development. Moms receive stage appropriate, timely child development information, and a book to read to their child.
- One visit focuses on the teen, herself.
- Transportation to the meetings is provided at no cost to the client.
- The Parents As Teachers, Born to Learn curriculum is used.
For more information contact Gail Shelton, Program Director at 708.848.2227.
*Due to funding, this program is offered to Oak Park, River Forest, and Forest Park residents only.